Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was found in the 2008 cookbook, Taste of Home Baking Classics, & if you enjoy, as I do, both these tart red berries AND raisins, well . . . !
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, packed
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, cold
- 177.44 ml pecans, finely chopped
FOR THE BREAD
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 large egg
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 29.58 ml orange zest, minced
- 295.73 ml cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 158.51 ml golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- FOR THE STREUSEL ~ In a bowl, combine sugar & flour, then cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the pecans & set aside.
- FOR THE BREAD ~ In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice & salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, orange jice, butter & zest, then stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cranberries & raisins.
- Put half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan, then sprinkle that with half of the streusel. Repeat layering.
- Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan & putting it upright on the wire rack.
Mmmm Mmmmmmm Good. I added a few finely chopped pecans into the cake as well as in the topping, used Splenda for both sugars. I made a half recipe and got 3 lovely mini loaves from that. Each mini loaf is just right for DH and myself to split. Everything comes together beautifully for a delicious, fluffy and very satisfying treat.
Delicious!!! I love the struesel - it's divine! The golden raisins and orange zest just add that extra something, too. The only change I made was to use an orange/pineapple/banana juice mix instead of orange juice, which worked out fine. I zested one valencia orange for the zest. This is so easy to put together, and stunning for your guests! Made for Veggie Swap 23, for our VIP Syd! Thanks for posting, Syd!!