1 hr 15 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
Found this on the Mother Earth News site when I clicked a link.... This antique recipe is really more of a cake without any fat. The fat is in the sauce, which is why it's drizzled on the cake sparingly. This recipe is so simple, to make that the most difficult part is finding a metal Jell-O mold.(a round one 8" in diameter with a hole in the center). Serve with brandy sauce recipe #.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put an inch or so of water in a large soup pot with a lid. Open the collapsible vegetable steamer and place it in the pot. The water should be just touching the bottom of the steamer. Place the pot on top of the stove and preheat the water. Place the Jell-O mold on top of the vegetable steamer to be sure it fits in the pot, then remove.
- 2Spray the interior of the Jell-O mold generously with cooking spray.
- 3In a mixing bowl, stir together the molasses, water, sugar and salt.
- 4Stir in the flour, baking soda and cranberries.
- 5Spoon into the Jell-O mold and place the mold in the pot.
- 6Adjust the heat to the lowest simmer setting, put on the lid and simmer for one hour.
- 7The cranberry pudding is ready when an inserted toothpick comes out clean (test in a few spots). When you remove the lid, be careful not to drip water on the pudding.
- 8Remove the mold from the pan and place it on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes.
- 9To release the pudding from the mold, loosen all the edges with a butter knife. Invert onto a waxed-paper-lined plate and wiggle the mold to loosen. If that doesn't work, use the butter knife to pry the pudding away from the sides of the mold in spots, then invert again.
- 10Slice into wedges and drizzle with brandy sauce recipe #.
- 11*Note: You can wrap the leftover pudding loosely in a plastic bag and kept it on the kitchen counter for three days. It kept well the whole time, but tasted better the day after made. It still is fresh, though not quite as moist as the first day.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Steamed Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 839.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 89.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g