Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was testing out what I could do with cranberries one day because my son loves cranberries and came up with this delicious recipe. Great for the holidays.
- 6 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) boxsure gel pectin
- Put cranberries into a colander, rinse with cold water.
- Throw away any berries that are dried out or mushy.
- Bring water to a boil and put cranberries into boiling water.
- Cook over medium heat until the berries pop (about three minutes).
- Ladle cranberries into food mill and sieve.
- (Four cups prepared) Pour prepared fruit back into pot, add cinnamon and pectin (slowly and stir to prevent clumping).
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly (to prevent scorching of fruit) for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sugar and bring to jam stage (full rolling boil) stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Boil for 3 minutes more.
- Skim off any foam with a wooden spoon.
- Jar as usual.
This was fabulous! I made a half batch exactly as described, and a half batch substituting 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1/4 tsp allspice for the 1 Tbsp cinnamon called for (for a half recipe) and it was wonderful both times! It was super easy, and smelled amazing while cooking! I did, however, pulse the berries in the pan after cooking with my stick blender instead of running them through my food mill. There were a few pieces of skin, but I think they give it more character and aren't overpowering.
We really loved this jam! It was very easy to make.
Loved the flavor...great cinnamon taste. Wonderful on toast or vanilla icecream!