Recipe by PaulaG
Delicate spice cookies made with Splenda. Perfect for the holidays or anytime. The recipe is from Prevention Magazine.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
I haven't yet decided if these are 4 or 5 stars as I'm somewhat new to cooking diabetic recipes. What I do know was that these were very good. Loved the texture given by the cornmeal and the combination of orange, cinnamon and cranberries. I chopped my fruit a bit to make sure every bite included that wonderful sweet/tart flavor. My cookies didn't brown much or spread but that's likely because of the Splenda. Also, I could taste the Splenda a bit and wonder if a bit more cinnamon & nutmeg, maybe even a bit of ginger, would take care of that. Thanks Paula!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, Splenda and vanilla.
- With electric mixer, beat on medium until butter is softened.
- Add egg substitute and orange peel, mixing briefly.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix on low speed until dough is formed.
- Stir in cranberries until blended evenly, taking care not to overmix.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each into a log about 1-inch in diameter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze approximately 1 hour, allowing dough to chill.
- Remove dough from freezer, unwrap and cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browed.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.