Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sachets would make an excellent gifts, tied to a bottle of wine or cider. The recipe is slightly reworded from the Better Homes and Gardens website.
- 2 cups dried cranberries, divided
- 16 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 16 slices candied orange, divided
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, divided
- 1 (1 liter) bottle red wine (choose something fruity such as Beaujolais) or 1⁄2 gallon apple cider or 1⁄2 gallon unfiltered natural apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the cranberry-spice bags, combine 1/4 cup cranberries, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 candied orange peel strips, and 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger in each of eight decorative bags. Store at room temperature up to 1 month. Makes enough for 8 batches of mulled wine or cider.
- When it's time to make mulled wine, bring the contents of one bag of spices and the wine to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and barely simmer 30 minutes, until flavor is infused into wine; stir in sugar until dissolved. Strain. (This will make around 6 servings).
- If you would perfer mulled cider, prepare as directed for mulled wine, except omit the sugar.