Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a perfect fall treat! I make it several times per year for the teachers in my department. You'll love this one!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture, alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Pour into greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with marshmallows; lightly press into batter.
- Top with brown sugar and pecans.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done.
I happen to have everything on hand except the minimarshmallows. I did have regular marshmallows, so I cut them up and they worked great.
Some people thought there was too much topping and not enough cake, so I may reduce that (I'd made it in a huge pan and doubled or was it tripled the topping to make it go across)
I bought more cranberries than I needed for Thanksgiving dinner; so I made this cake. I agree with the other review in that the topping ingredients are the perfect foil for the tart cranberries. I will make this again, but probably not until Thanksgiving 2010 rolls around.
I made this - mostly for myself - prior to Thanksgiving because I abhor pumpkin pie. It's really good! The sweet topping balances out the taste of the tart cranberries and the whole thing is not overly sweet, like I thought it might be. Thanks!