Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love, love, love cranberries! I will be making these for the holidays.
Make and share this Cranberry Shortbread Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place the wire oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray) a 9x9 inch pan.
- Cranberry Filling: In a medium sized saucepan, place all the ingredients. Over medium heat, cook the ingredients until boiling. Continue to boil the filling until it becomes thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you make the shortbread.
- Shortbreads: In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch and salt. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter until smooth (1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth (2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Evenly press two-thirds of the shortbread into the bottom of the prepared pan. Then evenly spread the cranberry filling over the shortbread base, leaving a 1/4 inch border.
- With the remaining shortbread dough, using your fingers crumble it over the top of the cranberry filling. Then lightly press the dough into the filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and while hot, cut into 16 squares. Allow to cool completely in pan. Makes about 16 bars.
I was looking for a way to use up a bag of fresh cranberries, stumbled upon this recipe, and discovered a great dessert! Thanks for posting the recipe. I found that 30 minute baking time was a tad too long. Really watch these in the oven so they don't overcook.