Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are the perfect Christmas scones. Serve hot with butter and jam or Cranberry Mango Chutney. The Cranberry Mango Chutney is deep red with chunky texture and makes a beautiful festive gift.
CRANBERRY MANGO CHUTNEY
- 14 ounces of sliced mangoes in syrup, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries or 12 ounces frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 strip lemon peel (4 inches, length)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons hard margarine, melted or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- FOR THE MANGO CHUTNEY: Combine all 14 ingredients in large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil on medium. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes until thickened. Remove and discard lemon peel. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Makes about 4 cups.
- FOR THE CRANBERRY SCONES: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Make a well in centre.
- Beat egg in small bowl until frothy. Add margarine and milk. Mix. Pour into well. Add cranberries. Stir until just moistened. Turn out onto well floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 times. Divide into 2 equal portions. Pat each into 6 inch circle. Arrange on greased baking sheet.
- TOPPING: Brush tops with milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Score each circle into 6 wedges. Bake in 425 oven for about 15 minutes until risen and lightly golden. Makes 12 scones.
- Company’s Coming Home for the Holidays.