Recipe by Veggie Girl NYC
What could be better than sweet, flaky scones accompanied by a nice hot cup of tea? These cranberry-studded scones are easy to make, and are delicious any time of day. From the New York Times Sunday Magazine of 7/13/08, adapted from Animal Farm in Orwell, VT.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When it comes to cranberries I almost always find a way to include more, & did so here by using a very, very nicely rounded measure of them in this recipe ~ VERY, VERY NICE! The 2 of us had no trouble at all in finishing off these great tasties in less than a 24-hour period! Definietly a winner! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick A Chef]
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a baking sheet with butter.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add butter and blend until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg and cream, and then add all but 1 T. of this mixture to the flour-butter mixture. Pulse several times until a dough starts to form. Add the cranberries and pulse once.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and form into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into an 8" circle and cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush the remaining 1 T. of the egg-cream mixture over the scones.
- Bake in preheated oven about 25 minutes, or until golden.