A delicious holiday appetizer! Very pretty, easy to make and a nice mixture of flavors. Also can be made ahead. I used premade filo dough tartlette shells found in the freezer section of my grocery store. I use chicken sausage to cut down on fat. I also substitute minced onion for the scallions and it works just fine!
- Combine cranberries, sugar, and juice in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, simmer until cranberries are soft and some have popped, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute sausage - keep breaking it apart into crumbled sausage.
- Add scallions/onions to sausage for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Drain off fat (if you use chicken sausage there won't be any!), stir in cranberry mix.
- Fill precooked shells.
- You can make the filling the day before, just don't fill the shells until just before serving so they don't get soggy (although the filo ones hold up very well!).