Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious holiday appetizer! Very pretty, easy to make and a nice mixture of flavors. Also can be made ahead. I used premade filo dough tartlette shells found in the freezer section of my grocery store. I use chicken sausage to cut down on fat. I also substitute minced onion for the scallions and it works just fine!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 lb mild sausage, removed from casing
- 1 cup scallion, minced
- 48 prepared tart shells
- Combine cranberries, sugar, and juice in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, simmer until cranberries are soft and some have popped, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute sausage - keep breaking it apart into crumbled sausage.
- Add scallions/onions to sausage for about 1 - 2 minutes.
- Drain off fat (if you use chicken sausage there won't be any!), stir in cranberry mix.
- Fill precooked shells.
- You can make the filling the day before, just don't fill the shells until just before serving so they don't get soggy (although the filo ones hold up very well!).
These are great little appetizers! They are very easy to make and look pretty, too. I made these as written, using the mini phyllo tart shells. They are best when they're kept warm. Thanx for posting this recipe. I'll be making these for one of my Thanksgiving appetizers this year!