Recipe by bunkie68
I'm going through recipes I've collected over the years and posting ones that sound interesting here, so I'll be able to find them later! I don't even remember where this one came from. I've never made it, so prep time is just a guess, but it sounds yummy.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
GREAT flavor combination ~ the sweetness of the cranberries with the sausage is very nice! Yesterday I cooked one pound Italian sweet sausage with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, and one medium onion ~ THEN I looked for a recipe that called for sausage ~ :) I found this GREAT recipe and although I didn't have monterey jack cheese on hand, I used 1 cup Swiss cheese and 2 cups pizza cheese blend, and only 1 1/4 cups half and half with the eggs, because I thought the quiche mixture might overflow my dish due to the increased sausage amount ~ and I added 1/4 tsp dried sage! :) Made for French Tart's Pie Event in the Photo Forum ~ June 2010. I promise I'll make this again and I'll use the correct ingredients next time! :)
- 1 9-inch frozen deep dish pie shell
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage, sage-flavored
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- parsley or sage leaf, as garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Let frozen pie shell stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Do not prick the shell.
- Bake pie shell for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Crumble sausage, and cook in a large skillet with onion over medium-high heat until sausage is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Sprinkle cheese on the bottom of the pie shell.
- Top cheese evenly with sausage mixture.
- Combine eggs and half and half in medium bowl.
- Whisk until blended but not frothy.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in pie shell.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or sage.