Recipe by mary winecoff
Cranberries cooked with port wine. This recipe can be canned. From the book "Small -batch Preserving".
Top Review by Annacia
This was delicious. I made it for DH's B-day a couple of days ahead so it was full flavored and perfect with the roast chicken. We're really big wine fans but it was a lovely blend of flavors with the cranberries. Super simple to make and I'll admit to omitting the vinegar as I thought the wine would be acidic enough and that worked well for us. I loved the cinnamon addition. Made for Photo Tag.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cranberries, fresh (frozen can be used)
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a medium stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add cranberries, return to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in port.
- Place a cinnamon stick in sterilized jar.
- Ladle sauce into jars to with 1/2 inch of rim.
- Process 15 minutes in hot water bath for half pint jars.