Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious on a holiday table. I especially like the variation with walnuts and oranges. An inexpensive port works nicely here. Adapted from a recipe in Gourmet.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup tawny port
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- In a large saucepan combine the cranberries,the sugar, the Port, the zest and the orange juice.
- Simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 15 or 20 minutes or until the berries burst and the mixture has thickened.
- For a chunkier variation, stir in 1 cup orange segments (well-drained) and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts before serving.
Wonderful combination of flavors, and it could not be easier to make!
I made enough for two Thanksgiving dinners and it was the hit of both. I bet it would even taste good on vanilla ice cream.
Served this first at Thanksgiving -- was a huge hit. Tried it again with kumquats instead of oranges -- worked great. Served with grilled salmon -- exquisite.