I had this marvelous cranberry sauce about 5 years ago at a friends house. Since I have Diabetes, I substituted Splenda for an equal amount of sugar...you could switch back if you like. I love this recipe and make it every year at Thanksgiving. It's best if you make it several days ahead to allow the flavors to blend. It's a step above the "norm".
- 946.36 ml fresh cranberries, picked over & rinsed
- 473.18 ml Splenda sugar substitute or 473.18 ml sugar
- 88.74 ml water
- 88.74 ml fresh orange juice
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2 inch fresh ginger, peeled & cut in 3 pieces (if you don't have fresh ginger, add 1/2 tsp ground ginger with other spices)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml allspice
- Mix together in large pot, cranberries, sugar (or Splenda), water& juice, salt, ginger pieces (not ground) and orange zest.
- Bring to boil and cook about 10 minutes or until all berries have burst.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 1/2 hour.
- Remove ginger pieces and add cinnamon, ground cloves and all spice.
- Blend thoroughly and allow to cool completely.
- Put in covered bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.