48 hrs 40 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
I'll bet this recipe is over 75 years old! My husband's Grandma made this every year for the holidays. Now his Aunt does, she even grinds her own cranberries in her mother's old fashion grinder. I think that is too much work but knock your socks off if you have one! Call me lazy, but I use a food processor. You will need to begin the prep process the 2 nights before. This is very sweet, personally, I am not crazy about the marshmallows, but they are pretty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces cranberries, frozen in the bag
- 1 medium orange, peeled, can add zest of 1/2 orange for more zip
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pineapple bits, drained well
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup apple, any, cored, diced, with peels
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup small marshmallow, snipped in half
- 3 ounces lemon gelatin
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1Grind frozen cranberries with orange. Mix with sugar. Cover and store overnight. If using a food processor, leave chunky. If you over process the cranberries in the food processor, and the cranberries are too wet, remove some of the liquid.
- 2The following day:.
- 3Mix gelatin with hot water, stir until gelatin is dissolved. Refrigerate and chill until gelatin is moderately set.
- 4In the mean time, in a large bowl: Snip marshmallows in half. If using large marshmallows snip into several smaller pieces. NOTE: if you do not snip them they will float to the top of the mold and not be incorporated into the mold.
- 5Add drained pineapple to cranberry - orange mixture; add marshmallows. Toss to combine.
- 6Prepare celery, apples, pecans. Add to above mixture.
- 7Once gelatin is moderately jelled, add to all the other ingredients and combine well.
- 8Pour into your favorite serving bowl.
- 9Refrigerate, preferably all day or overnight. The relish will be thick like a cranberry relish, it will not set up in the bowl.
- 10Best if prepared 2 days in advance.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Salad With Marshmallows
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.5
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 30.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g