Recipe by ForeverMama
I've had this recipe for a long, long time and it's on my "to make" list, especially for the Holidays. Filed it here for safe keeping.
- 3 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped navel orange, rind included
- 1 stick cinnamon (4 inches)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- orange slice
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
- heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to hot (400 degrees Fahrenheit). Grease and flour a cookie sheet.
- Prepare Cranberry Sauce:.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, orange and cinnamon in saucepan. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 - 15 minutes or until berries have popped and mixture is very thick. Cool completely. Remove cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, prepare Dough:.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium-size bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in rind. Gradually stir in milk with fork to form soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll out into 14 x 11-inch rectangle. Transfer to prepared cookie sheet.
- To Fill Roll:.
- Brush dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar and the nuts. Spread dough with cooled Cranberry Sauce, leaving 2-inch border all the way around. With a long side of the dough facing you, fold left and right short sided inward to that ends touch edges of Cranberry Sauce. Beginning with long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently seal edges with fingers. Turn roll so seam-side is down.
- Bake in preheated hot oven (400 degrees Fahrenheit) for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Prepare Garnish:.
- Combine the cranberries and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, util berries just begin to pop, 2 - 3 minutes. Cool.
- Transfer rolypoly to serving plate. Garnish with the cranberries, orange slices and mint leaves, if you wish. Serve with heavy cream if you wish.