Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this recipe in the 2009 cookbook, Taste of Home's Best Holiday Recipes.
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute celery & onion in butter & oil until tender.
- Add rice & cook & stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add broth, mushrooms, cranberries, garlic powder, curry powder & lemon pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed & rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in parsley & sprinkle with pine nuts before serving.
This is amazing!! I wasn't sure about the curry since we do not eat it usually, but it made the rice so good! Made as is and left the mushroom pieces bigger so DH could pick them out; and he ate them, so added bonus! Going into my Best of 2010 cookbook!! Made for PRMR.
A great rice dish! The veggies and cranberries were wonderful additions. The curry powder was a surprising, yet well fitting, ingredient for the pilaf. It all came together quite nicely. Thanks for sharing!