Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is enjoyed all year
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup quartered cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Combine broth, brown and wild rice in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat, add onions and brown sugar, reduce heat to low; cook onions, stirring often, until they are a caramel color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries, cover and cook over low heat until cranberries are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large serving bowl.
- Gently fold cranberry mixture and orange zest into cooked rice.