Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is courtesy of my buddy, Dave, who is definitely not a great cook, but this, along with microwave roasted turkey, also being submitted, is one of his two great masterpieces. This is one of the few recipes that I actually cook in the microwave.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey (use a rich flavored one if you can find it, mint, buckwheat, whatever, plus extra as needed)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 granny smith apple, cored,peeled if desired,and coarsely chopped
- 1 large orange, unpeeled,coarsely chopped,and seeded
- 1 cup dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated or chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of, including pulp,seeds removed
- Combine all ingredients in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, and stir thoroughly.
- Repeat two more times for a total of 9 minutes, by which time the cranberries whould should have popped and the mixture should be close to boiling; if not, repeat one more time.
- Taste, and adjust sweetness with more honey.
- In the unlikely event that the relish is too sweet, add a little more lemon juice.
- The relish will probably be a little bit runny, at this point, but it will jell as it cools.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled as an accompaniment to turkey or anything else.
- Its also great with cream cheese on toasted bagels or English muffins.