1/3 Photos of Cranberry Relish
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is my mother-in-law's recipe and as far as my husband and son are concerned, it is the most important part of thanksgiving dinner. It's nice to serve this in a glass bowl to show off the festive red color. Preparation time does not include overnight refrigeration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries
- 1 (6 ounce) box red Jell-O (pick your favorite red flavor, or use two 3-oz boxes and mix flavors)
- 1 apple, cored but unpeeled
- 1 orange, seeded, but unpeeled
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained (I typically use a 16 oz can and it also works fine)
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar (optional)
- 1Chop or grind cranberries, orange (with rind) and apple (with peel). Make sure you do this in such a way as to conserve all of the juice.
- 2You can use a food processor or one of the old metal food grinders that clamp to your table - mine drips horribly, but if you have kids helping, it's lots of fun for them to turn the crank and hear the cranberries pop. You could of course chop it all by hand with a knife, but you'll want to chop everything very finely.
- 3Place fruits and their juices in a serving dish/bowl that will hold 8-10 cups.
- 4Add diced celery, nuts and crushed pineapple with juice.
- 5Dissolve jello in recommended amount of boiling water (2 cups), and add to the fruit/nut mixture.
- 6Depending on how juicy your fruit is, you may not need to add any cold water to the mixture. If you think it will need it, don't add more than 1 cup.
- 7Depending on the tartness of your fruits, you may or may not want to add some sugar, perhaps 1/2 cup. (I just taste it before putting it in the fridge to set and add sugar if it seems too tart.).
- 8Refrigerate for several hours till set(overnight is good).
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Relish
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 83.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 2.2 g