1/1 Photo of Cranberry Relish
Linda Jones's Note:
Cranberry Relish made with apples,oranges and cranberries-comes as close to the relish at Frankenmuth MI as I could remember. Both sides of our family love this and it is my specialty to bring at holiday gatherings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and scrub the apple and orange.
- 2Rinse the cranberries in a colander.
- 3Cut the ends off of the orange just a little, until the sections show through.
- 4Core the apple and cut into quarters.
- 5In a food processor on chop with chop blade, chop the frozen cranberries until a relish consistency.
- 6Scoop out into a bowl.
- 7Chop apple the same way and add to bowl.
- 8Cut orange into quarters and add to processor-chop until all rind is in very small relish like particles.
- 9Add to bowl.
- 10Mix lightly and sprinkle about 1/2 or 2/3's of the one cup of sugar over mixture and let sit for about 1/2 hour.
- 11After sitting, mix again and taste.
- 12If mixture is too tart for you add more sugar until right for you.
- 13We like it tart.
- 14Add nuts last.
- 15Note:We quadruple this recipe or more each year.
- 16For each additional batch, keep out some of the sugar until the batch has rested.
- 17The fruit does tend to sweeten some naturally and this shouldn't be real sweet.
- 18Also-this freezes well.
- 19After the holidays I make several more batches for the rest of the year and freeze in individual containers-ziplock type bowls- (one per meal 4 serving size).
- 20Keeps forever and is handy to get out for picnics in the summer also.
- 21****For freezing batches I do this without the nuts-they tend to mush out over long periods of time-and though they freeze well as nuts they don't adapt to freezing in liquid foods.
- 22**2010 update re: option for nuts. Place crushed nuts in a small side bowl and let those who like the nuts sprinkle what they want to mix in with their serving. This also works well, because if there are leftovers, you can freeze it without worrying about the nuts getting mushy. Other option--make two batches, one with and one without<G> With large family gatherings and different tastes or food some can't eat, requirements, this solves the problem. Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Relish
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.7
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 58.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g