Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes a low-fat and low calorie dessert, and can be served alongside vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- 4 firm ripe pears
- 2 cups water
- 3 red zesty herbal tea bags (hibiscus, rosehip and lemongrass flavor)
- 2 cups cranberry-raspberry juice
- 2 tablespoons red cinnamon candies
- Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Cut a very thin slice from bottom of pears, if needed, to keep from tipping over on serving plates.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling; remove from heat. Add tea bags; let steep 10 minutes. Squeeze tea from tea bags; discard bags. Stir juice and candies into tea. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until candies are melted.
- Arrange pears upright and close together in the saucepan. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, spooning sauce over pears occasionally, until pears are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife.
- Remove pears from syrup. Cook syrup over medium-high heat about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve sauce over pears.