Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Delicious pumpkin bread was adapted from Bon Appetit (October, 2003).
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (craisins)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray loaf pan (9"x5") with cooking spray.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour- baking powder) together in small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine in large bowl of electric mixer.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in cranberries, raisins and walnuts (if using).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack for 15 minutes before inverting bread on cooling rack to finish cooling.
Delicious, The best I have ever made. We love the craisins, raisins,and walnuts in it. The spices espically the ginger makes it so yummy. It is easy to make, I think it will be great toasted. Thank you, Ellie for this delicious recipe. I will be making more before Thanksgiving.
Very nice recipe! I was looking for a pumpkin bread recipe and like that this one had both craisins and raisins. I thought the spices are pretty mild. I made these in 2 small loaf pans instead of 1 larger.
Rita L (see my other recipe reviews) posted Jan 6, 2004 Fabulous! I just loved this. I used brown sugar, doubled the cinnamon and had frozen pureed baked butternut squash (in place of pumpkin)which which I defrosted and brought to room temperature before adding to butter and sugar mixture.I also used all cranraisins.Thanks for a great recipe.