Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This bread was served on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for breakfast. I copied the recipe from a cookbook they had on display. I did an internet search for "Strietzel" and found out it's a German bread made for All Saints Day.
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast, 2- 1/4 oz packages
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with butter.
- Combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water in mixer bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour rum over the raisins and cranberries.
- Add flour, salt, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla and lemon zest to the mixing bowl containing the yeast mixture. On a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix all ingredients for dough for 2 minutes at slow speed followed by 6 minutes at fast speed.
- Add the rum soaked berries and mix for 2 minutes more.
- Rest the dough covered for 20 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough into 2-1 lb. loaves.
- Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.
- Cut each loaf into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece by hand into a long approximately 12-20 inch strip. Braid the 3 pieces together.
- Place the braided loaves on the buttered baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup water with 1 beaten egg yolk and brush the braided loaves.
- Brush a second time with the egg wash and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-22 minutes.
I really loved this bread while we were on the cruise, so I found this recipe..What a major flop, had to throw both loaves out..1st only 1T of sugar for 2 loaves? Adding the butter not melted ? I redid the recipe adding just a little over 1/2 C of sugar...Adding 3/4 C raisins and cranberries and 3T rum..warmed the milk (mixes in better)..I also increased the salt to 1t. Turned out just like on the ship...also knead the dough otherwise it comes out too dense. I gave this 1 star to be nice really not good.