Recipe by KellyC
This bread was served on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for breakfast. I copied the recipe from a cookbook they had on display. I did an internet search for "Strietzel" and found out it's a German bread made for All Saints Day.
Top Review by jlhorning
Have to agree with Carmen S. this bread was just terrible! Dry, tough, flavorless. Chopped it into bits and fed it to the birds and squirrels. I'm going to try Carmen's recipe tweaks.
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast, 2- 1/4 oz packages
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with butter.
- Combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water in mixer bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour rum over the raisins and cranberries.
- Add flour, salt, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla and lemon zest to the mixing bowl containing the yeast mixture. On a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix all ingredients for dough for 2 minutes at slow speed followed by 6 minutes at fast speed.
- Add the rum soaked berries and mix for 2 minutes more.
- Rest the dough covered for 20 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough into 2-1 lb. loaves.
- Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.
- Cut each loaf into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece by hand into a long approximately 12-20 inch strip. Braid the 3 pieces together.
- Place the braided loaves on the buttered baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup water with 1 beaten egg yolk and brush the braided loaves.
- Brush a second time with the egg wash and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-22 minutes.