Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This bread was served on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for breakfast. I copied the recipe from a cookbook they had on display. I did an internet search for "Strietzel" and found out it's a German bread made for All Saints Day.
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast, 2- 1/4 oz packages
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 lbs all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with butter.
- Combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water in mixer bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour rum over the raisins and cranberries.
- Add flour, salt, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla and lemon zest to the mixing bowl containing the yeast mixture. On a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix all ingredients for dough for 2 minutes at slow speed followed by 6 minutes at fast speed.
- Add the rum soaked berries and mix for 2 minutes more.
- Rest the dough covered for 20 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough into 2-1 lb. loaves.
- Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.
- Cut each loaf into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece by hand into a long approximately 12-20 inch strip. Braid the 3 pieces together.
- Place the braided loaves on the buttered baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup water with 1 beaten egg yolk and brush the braided loaves.
- Brush a second time with the egg wash and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-22 minutes.