Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
By Dave Rowland, Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa I can't pass this recipe up as it has cranberries in it. Hope to try soon.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1 loaf stale bread, cubed
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Cook's Note: Day-old biscuits or croissants are best for this recipe.
- You will need enough to fill a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, blend all ingredients, except for bread and cranberries.
- Fill a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with bread cubes.
- Sprinkle cranberries over bread cubes.
- Pour custard mixture over bread cubes, making sure that all cubes are submerged (push cubes down if necessary).
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until pudding is set.
- Serve warm.
Loved this bread pudding -- how can you go wrong with pumpkin, croissants and cranberries! It turned out just as beautiful as it is delicious too! I love the fact that this bread pudding is not overly sweet - just the right balance of sweetness with the tartness of the cranberries. I thought the 1/4 cup vanilla was an error so I used one tsp. - it still turned out just fine. I also used canned pumpkin vs. pumpkin pie filling as I thought the extra spices would be too overpowering. Made for Make My Recipe Reunion, December, 2012.
Great bread pudding! I cut the recipe in half (using a 8 x 8-inch pan) with no problems. I was skeptical that the amount of vanilla would be overpowering, but it wasn't. This will be on my fall/winter menu on a regular basis.
Ooh yum! In cleaning out the freezer I found a bag of whole wheat mini bagels that were getting a tad freezer burned, and half a bag of frozen cranberries that was also almost past its prime. So this was a great way to use them up on an unusually cool day. I used skim milk and all egg whites, and half sugar/half splenda. Instead of the pumpkin pie mix I used the equivalent amount of pumpkin butter and cut down on the spices since the butter has plenty of it. This was very very good. Nice pumpkin taste plus the tartness of the cranberries. One I'd like to try again in the fall.