Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
from "A Couple Cooks" - http://www.acouplecooks.com/2010/12/cranberry-pudding/
Make and share this Cranberry Pudding recipe from Food.com.
For the pudding
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup warm water
- 12 ounces cranberries
For the butter sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut the cranberries in half. Place them in a colander and rinse out the seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 2/3 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and a pinch salt. Gradually mix in 1 cup dark molasses and 1 cup warm water. Fold in the cranberries.
- Grease the round pan well. Pour the cranberry mixture into the pan.
- Fill the steamer with water, and place the pan in the steamer. If you don’t have a steamer, take a large stock pot and place something in the bottom to elevate the cake pan, like a trivet, cookie cutter, empty tuna can, or folded dish towel. Then place the pan on top and fill the pot with water about half-way up the side of the pan.
- Bring the water to a boil, and steam for about 2 1/2 hours, checking the water level periodically (around every 30 minutes or so) and refilling as needed. The pudding is done when you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean. Allow the pudding to cool (the pudding can also be made in advance and kept on the counter or in the fridge until ready to serve).
- When ready to serve, make the butter sauce: in a saucepan over low heat, melt 1/2 cup butter, stirring often. Stir in 1/2 cup half-and-half and 1 cup sugar, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. To serve, cut the pudding into pieces and drizzle with butter sauce.