Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
This recipe has many ingredients, but it is well worth it. It smells wonderful, and it has great flavor. Serve with mashed or roasted potatoes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth (chicken works too)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce (approx 1.75c)
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, peeled & quartered
- 1 orange, peeled & quartered
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Combine 1/2c flour, salt & pepper and rub all surfaces of the meat
- Heat oil in a heavy Dutch oven or very large, deep skillet (with cover) over medium to med-high heat. Gently brown roast on all sides. Add broth, wine, vinegar, cranberry sauce, carrots, onion, orange, celery, cloves, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, and thyme;.
- Cover and simmer for approx 3 1/2hrs or until tender.
- For gravy: Measure out 4c broth (strained, if desired) from the pot or skillet; adding water if necessary. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat; whisk in remaining 1/4c flour; cook for 1 minute, then add broth gradually, whisking often to be sure it's free of lumps. Cook until thickened; season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Discard orange pieces; serve pot roast with gravy & vegetables.