Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sauce can be made a few days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving. Serve with your Christmas bird. From Crabtree and Evelyn.
- 1 lb fresh cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 inch slice fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- In a non-reactive saucepan, combine cranberries, port, sugar, orange zest, and gingerroot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until cranberries have popped and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Discard gingerroot.
- Stir in jelly.
- Let it cool to room temperature before serving.
Made this last night for a holiday dinner later this week. Really easy and tasty! I didn't have the red currant jelly, which may have made it a little sweeter, so we had to add a little more sugar. Thanks Queenkunfu!