Recipe by lazyme
A simple cranberry sauce adds seasonal color and flavor to these savory chops. From Taste of Home Holiday Entertaining 2005.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries or 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 8 pork chops (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries; cook 5 minutes longer or until the berries pop.
- Skim off foam if necessary.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and remaining water.
- Mix well; set aside.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chops on both sides in oil; drain.
- Pour the cranberry sauce over chops.
- Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
- Remove chops and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon over pork chops.
- One 16-ounce can of whole-berry cranberry sauce may be substituted for the sugar, cranberries and 1 1/2 cups water. Combine cranberry sauce with the barbecue sauce and 1/4 cup water; use as directed in recipe.