Recipe by Jenny Sanders
Three delightful flavours get together in this tasty loaf cake, and set each other off nicely. This cake keeps well, and is actually better once it has sat for a day or two.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Hi Jen... made your Cranberry-poppyseed loaf tonight, and it turned out wonderful, my DH just devoured half of the cake with his tea, he just loved it.... great texture and rose very high with a nice high top in the center, just the way I like it. I took a chance with frozen cranberries, cause that is what I had in my freezer from Christmas, and added a little more sugar, cause myself and DH have a sweet tooth, the addition of orange juice gave it a really nice flavor. This is a 5 star all the way. I will be making this again very soon. Keep up the good work! thanx for sharing a wonderful recipe :-)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 large oranges, zest of
- 2 cups soft whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a large loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and work in the sugar, then beat in the egg and the orange zest.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, the salt and the poppyseeds.
- Fold the flour into the sugar mixture alternately with the orange juice and the milk.
- Gently stir in the chopped cranberries.
- Scrape into the greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- If desired, it can instead be baked in a 9" square pan for 30 to 35 minutes.