Prep 18 mins
Cook 15 mins
A buttery-rich scone is nothing more than a glorified biscuit—made even more delicious with sweet and savory twists. From Southern Living's facebook page -- Easy, Irresistible Scones; originally published in Southern Living, December 2010.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream, cranberries, and pistachios, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round (mixture will be crumbly). Cut round into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons cream just until moistened.
- Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Really grand scones. I used frozen cranberries in place of the dried as I like them better. The pistachio's were a very nice change from walnuts or pecans. The texture is lovely, soft on the inside with a light crunch on the outside. Relax with a scone and a cup of coffee or tea. Made for Photo Tag.