Frozen desserts might not be all that great during the winter months, but just think of how great they'll taste when the weather gets warmer! Preparation time does not include the time it takes to freeze, freeze & refreeze the finished product.
- Zest the orange, reserving some curls for garnish, & finely chopping 1 tablespoon of zest for the recipe.
- Cut the white pith from the orange, leaving just the flesh of the orange. Finely chop the flesh, keeping 1/2 cup to use.
- Combine cranberries, pineapple, sugar, orange pulp & the finely chopped zest.
- Process in batches in blender or food processor, until coarsely chopped [OR chop everything coarsely in a hand-operated chopper].
- Pour into metal bowl &, stir in Grand Marnier, if using it.
- Cover & freeze about 2 hours, or until frozen about 2" from the sides.
- Scrape down the frozen part, & beat with electric beater until uniform in texture.
- Return to freezer & then repeat the freezing/scraping/beating twice more.
- Freeze completely after last beating.
- To serve, spoon into dishes & garnish with a curl or two of orange zest.