Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Most cranberry pie recipes mix cranberries and some other fruit, since cranberries are so tart. This recipe uses all cranberries, mixed with a small amount of sugar and topped with a butter-sugar-oat crumb topping that melts and drizzles down into the berries as the pie bakes. The resulting filling is tart but sweet enough, and the pie is just the thing if you don't want a super-sweet or very fatty dessert after a rich holiday dinner. About the butter: the original recipe in the Boston Globe called for 3/4 cup of butter. I found that excessive and cut it to 1/2 cup, which is still a bit much. You may want to experiment and cut it even more. There is a LOT of crumb topping, but use it -- you want lots of crumb. This makes a BIG pie!
- Wash the cranberries and drain. Remove any mushy or scary-looking ones (it's okay if some are a bit whitish, but the ideal is deep red and firm).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and all but 1/4 cup of the white sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture forms small clumps that crumble easily.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt and 1/4 cup white sugar. Add the cranberries and toss to coat.
- Spoon the cranberries into the pie shell, mounding slightly in the center.
- Using your fingers, sprinkle the crumb topping over the berries. Do not press the topping into the berries.
- Bake at 375 until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling around the edges (about 40 minutes). Serve at room temperature.
There was so much crumb mixture, and since I wasn't supposed to press it into the berries, I ended up with a huge mound in the center (think coneheads). It was impossible to get all the crumb mixture on top - I would really like suggestions or tips from others. I had to cut into the pie right away, and it is definitely better after cooled like recipe says b/c it sets up a lot as it cools. I found it too sugary/sweet, but the other taster loved it (that is backwards for us).
I made this pie using frozen cranberries, since I used frozen cranberries I added in 2 tablespoons flour and increased the sugar. This is an easy and delicious pie recipe with a wonderful topping! Thanks Mary!...Kitten:)