1/3 Photos of Cranberry-Pecan Streusel Coffeecake
1 hr 15 mins
While searching on the net to find different recipes using cranberries, I found this tempting coffeecake. I found this @ http://www.cranberries.org courtesy of Cape Cod Cranberry Growers' Association.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Streusel
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Coffeecake
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1To make the streusel: Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Rub the softened butter into the flour mixture until it holds together when squeezed. Gently mix in the pecans; set aside.
- 2To make the coffeecake: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flavorings, and buttermilk.
- 3Mix on low speed for one minute, scrape the bowl, and beat for another 30 seconds; scrape the bowl.
- 4Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, combining well after each addition; scrape the bowl after each egg is added.
- 5Once all the eggs are added, scrape the bowl and mix on medium speed for one minute. Gently fold the cranberries in by hand.
- 6To assemble the Cranberry-Pecan Streusel Coffeecake: Grease an 8x8 inch square pan and place about half of the batter in the pan. Smooth it out evenly with a small offset spatula or a knife.
- 7Spread 1/3 of the streusel topping over the coffeecake batter. Place the remaining coffeecake batter on top of the streusel topping and gently smooth out to the edges of the pan.
- 8Top with the remaining streusel.
- 9An alternative to layering the coffeecake and streusel is to place all of the coffeecake batter in the pan, top with 2/3 of the streusel, and marble the streusel through the coffeecake with a knife by drawing the knife down through the streusel and into the batter, making swirling motions. Once swirled, top with the remaining streusel.
- 10Bake the coffeecake in a 350°F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center tests clean. *** Changed time from the original 45-50 minutes, because of recipe reviewer. ***.
- 11Allow the cake to cool in the pan.
- 12This cake is very delicate with a crunchy streusel if served warm the same day, so if you prefer a slightly denser coffeecake with a softer streusel crumb, serve the coffeecake the next day. After the cake has cooled, wrap it well in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- 13* Regular pastry flour can be substituted for whole wheat pastry flour.
- 14** If buttermilk is not available, place 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup and fill to the ¼ cup mark with milk.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry-Pecan Streusel Coffeecake
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.1
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 154.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 6.7 g