Prep 2 hrs 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is another Wayne Harley Brachman recipe.
CREAM CHEESE DOUGH
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 1 cup lightly toasted chopped pecans
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water, to make a wash
- With electric mixer (beater), cream together butter and cream cheese.
- With mixer on low, gradually add in flour.
- Form into 3 squat disks.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, cover the cranberries with water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 10-inch circles.
- Paint with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with the sugar/nut mixture and cranberries.
- With a pizza wheel, cut into 12 wedges.
- Roll up the wedges and line them up on a parchment lined or nonstick cookie sheet.
- Paint the rugelach with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes or set and light golden.
I never knew rugelach when I was younger. But I stumbeld onto this recipe, which is PERFECT for Thanksgiving or Christmas snacking. Double the recipe - they go fast!
The dough was easy to make but really needed to be a bit sweeter. It wasn't as tasty as I had remembered it.