Recipe by Monica Lin
Thinking of "Starting our mornings of right" I just recently developed this granola recipe. All natural, I believe it gets your "WHOLE BODY" off to a GREAT start!! I bag up 3 oz. bags, travels great in purses & briefcases for that any time, on the go, healthy snack. I purchase most ingredients at bulk stores (Almish/Quaker)
- 12 cups rolled oats, & grain mix
- 2 cups cracked wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 5 cups dried cranberries
- 3 cups pecans (roughly chopped)
- 2 3⁄4 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure maple syrup (no sub)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons dried orange peel
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, I use a large turkey roaster for this recipe, you will need to have plenty of room to mix well.
- In a large GLASS mixing bowl pour in orange juice then the orange peel, stir & set aside.
- Put in the first 9 ingredients into the lg. roaster, I use my hands to mix, you want to separate all the fruit & rubbing with the flour keeps them from sticking back together, but more importantly it will allow the wet ingredients to fully coat all the fruit & nuts.
- Returning to the lg. glass bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Using a wire whisk beat until emulsified. They will start to take on a cloudy appearance. Pour over the dry ingredients in the roaster. using a large metal spoon stir together very well, I will usually spend at least 5 minutes or more on this, it does make a difference.
- Using glass (5-6 pcs)or metal baking pans with sides (4-5 pcs) pour mix into required pans to keep mix less than an inch in the height of the pans. Bake in center position for a hour, mixing bottom to top every 15 minute. Remove from oven & stir once more, leave in pans to cool. Do not over bake, it will continue to crisp as it cools.
- Will keep in air tight containers for 2 weeks or in freezer for 4 weeks.