Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe comes from Annie who is a chef on the J&E Riggin schooner that sails out of Rockland, Maine. I have made several of her recipes and they are all wonderful. This is one of several stuffing recipes as we call it here in the Northeast.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup pecans, pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, minced
- 12 cups day old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or more)
- The amount of liquid will vary due to the moisture content of the bread. The stuffing should be moist, but not saturated.
- In a large sauté pan or stockpot, over medium-high heat, melt butter and sauté onions and celery until translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to incorporate. Stuff the turkey or bake covered for 55 minutes at 375ºF, the last 10 minutes uncovered.
- Makes enough to stuff a 20-pound turkey
- Cooking time depends upon if the dressig is cooked in the bird or seperate. I estimated it as having been cooked in a 20 pound turkey.
Tried, loved it...will make it again.