Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
It wouldn't be a holiday without this relish. My mother always made this, now I do.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 slices fresh gingerroot (1-inch across and 1/8-inch thick)
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries or 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cranberries
- 2 small pears, peeled, cored and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water and ginger root. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and pears to pan. Cook, uncovered, and stirring occasionally, until fruit softens and mixture thickens slightly - about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature- about 3 hours. Can be made ahead and chilled. Remove ginger before serving.
- Makes 3 cups sauce.