Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A mix of fresh and dried cranberries gives this special pie extra texture. This colorful dessert will brighten the table and is easy enough to prepare for a casual dinner with friends.
- 2 unbaked flaky pie crusts, 9-inch
- 3 large pears, peeled, cored & sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries (approx 5 oz) or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries (approx 5 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (approx 3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat oven to 425°F .
- In medium bowl, mix together pears, fresh cranberries, sugar, dried cranberries, lemon zest and ginger.
- Place cranberry-pear mixture into pie shell. Cover fruit mixture with top crust, crimping edge to seal. Brush top of pie with milk. Using a small sharp knife, cut 4 steam vents in top crust.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake about 45 minutes more, until crust is golden brown and fruit filling is bubbling. Let pie cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is a great pie. The only thing I would change the second time around is that I would delete the dried cranberries and add more lemon zest. Just personal taste, some people probably would like the texture change with the dried cranberries. Even my mom, who thought it wouldn't be any good, loved this at Thanksgiving and I'm making it again for New Years Day.