Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This yummy fall recipe comes from the food section of the Oregonian newspaper. It is written for fresh or frozen cranberries, not dried. I have increased the amount of orange juice to 1/2 cup based on a review - I made the dish with the new, increased amount, and it was perfect. Because it's somewhat tart, I prefer serving with vanilla ice cream, but sweetened whipped cream is good, too.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (this recipe is not for dried cranberries) or 2 cups frozen cranberries (this recipe is not for dried cranberries)
- 2 cups cored diced pears
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (preferable fresh-squeezed, from orange used for peel)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- 3⁄4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal or 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- whipping cream (optional)
- ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine fresh or frozen cranberries, pears, sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, and allspice or mace; mix well. Spoon into prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and orange peel; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in oatmeal and nuts. Sprinkle mixture over fruit.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let sit for a few minutes until the bubbling stops. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
The flavor was very good, but I had too much juice and it was thin. I had to take out the liquid and use corn starch to thicken it. I did the recipe as written and used frozen berries. The only thing I did different, was I prepped the berry/pear mix a head of time about an hour and I think the sugar made the fruit release too much juice before cooking.
I made this as directed except no orange, since I didn't have any. This was a very good crisp and would probably be even better with the orange. I loved the topping, and will use it for other fruit crisps.
This was one of those recipes I definitely could not cut back on so made the whole 9 yards ~ ABSOLUTELY LOVE THOSE LITTLE TART BUGGERS! I love the combo of apple & cranberry, too, but really wanted to see how the flavor of the pears would come through here & I wasn't disappointed ~ Made as written, THIS IS A REALLY WONDERFUL TASTING DESSERT! A definite keeper of a recipe, too! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]