Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is low sodium and came from Nubella
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups cranberries (picked over)
- 2 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Combine pears, cranberries and tapioca in a deep 9 inche baking dish. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Combine salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over pears and cranberries.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl. Cut egg into flour mixture. Sprinkle evenly over fruit mixture and drizzle with butter.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden.
The final out come was delicious but there was no way I was going to get all 4 pears into the pan. I switched to a *deep* corning wear dish and the 2 pears I had sliced. The second issue was with the topping. 1 lg egg couldn't incorporate all of the flour and I ended up adding the butter into the flour to make a usable dough. With the 2 cups of cranberries and two pears I got 4 servings of a great tasting Christmas season dessert that was really enjoyed still warm (it cooled as we had dinner). I should also mention that I used 1/2 a cup of sugar and 3/4 cup of Splenda to help control the sugar a bit. We loved it.