Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe came from Marlene Koch's Splenda Recipes book that I have. It is sugar-free, low fat and low calorie. I added the cream cheese and vanilla to the glaze. I also added nuts to the original batter recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (zest of 1 orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup light orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 1 1⁄2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together orange juice, milk, oil, eggs, zest and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nuts and cranberries. Stir; make a well and add the liquid mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Spoon into prepared pan and smooth.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out dry.
- While bread is baking prepare Glaze: Combine orange juice and Splenda in a small saucepan. Place on medium heat and reduce by one half. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Brush glaze onto warm loaf immediately after removing from oven. Cool on rack for 15 minutes; then remove from pan.
- *Gift loaf variation: Makes 2-3 small loaves - fill mini loaf pans 2/3 full and bake for 30-35 minutes.
I did follow your recipe right on down & had a wonderful tasting loaf that I shared with a neighbor couple! I almost wished I'd kept it all right here, but fortunately I DO have the recipe! We always enjoy the combo of cranberry & orange, so this bread was particularly appreciated here! And, since I do keep a stash of fresh frozen cranberries on hand, I'll be making this throughout the year, I know! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]