1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Garrett Kern. Leftover tart dough makes great Linzer cookies if filled with raspberry jam. Prep time does not include time for tart shell to cool, nor refrigeration time after assembly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 ounces granulated sugar (about 1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon orange oil (optional)
- 9 ounces unsifted cake flour (cake flour = 2 cups minus 1 tbsp, all-purpose = 2 cups) or 9 ounces all-purpose flour (cake flour = 2 cups minus 1 tbsp, all-purpose = 2 cups)
Ginger Cream Cheese
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces confectioners' sugar (about 3/4 cup unsifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 pinch table salt
- 8 ounces dried cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 ounces granulated sugar (about 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp)
- 1 pinch table salt
- 1Cream butter and sugar (in a stand mixer, or with a hand-held electric beater) on low speed until well-mixed. Add the egg in three doses, about 1 tbsp at a time; wait until each is fully incorporated, and scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the next. Add salt, orange zest and optional orange oil. Sift flour, and add to bowl. Mix on low speed about 20 seconds, until a loose dough is formed. Wrap in plastic and pat into a flat disc. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2Roll dough out to about 1/8" thick. Place dough into a 12" tart pan. Dock the bottom of the crust with a fork or rolling docker. Cover dough with parchment or foil and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 15 minutes. Remove the weights and bake another 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool to room temperature.
- 3Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, grated ginger and salt. Beat with paddle attachment until fluffy and well mixed. Refrigerate until needed.
- 4Combine cranberries, orange juice, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes, then cover tightly and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 5Whip heavy cream and sugar until thick and holding fairly stiff peaks. Fold in orange juice and orange zest.
- 6Spread cream cheese evenly over bottom of tart crust with an offset spatula, filling the corners. Pour the cranberries over the cheese and spread evenly. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of diced, candied ginger.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry-Orange Tart
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.2
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 244.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 28.4 g
- Protein 5.0 g