Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries (not frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cut into small pieces and softened)
- 1 orange (navel)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Let cranberries stand at room temp 1 hour.
- Place 1 rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350.
- Line 9x13 baking pan with foil, leaving overhand on all sides and generously grease foil.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Work butter in with your fingers until creamy. Reserve 1 cup.
- Press into prepared pan. Bake until light golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Grate 1 teaspoon orange peal and squeeze 1/3 cup juice from orange. In medium bowl, whisk with milk, egg yolks, vanilla until well combined.
- Sprinkle cranberries evenly over the hot crust. Pour mixture over berries. Use spatula to gently distribute evenly. Bake 7 minutes or until orange mixture just begins to form a skin around the edges.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle evenly with reserved topping, then almonds. Bake 30 minutes or until filling bubbles and topping is golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour.
- Carefully lift out of pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Remove foil and cut into 24 bars.
- Serve or store in airtight container up to 3 days or freezer up to 3 months.
These are the BEST use of fresh cranberries! Fabulous flavor! Used walnuts because didn't have almonds. Made 3 batches for work for Christmas and not a crumb left~