Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These squares are colourful, sweet, and very tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole barley flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- Stir together dry ingredients, then cut in butter until butter is in pea-size pieces.
- Beat eggs, milk and extract together and add to flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix cranberry sauce and raisins.
- Grease the bottom of a 13" x 9" pan.
- Spread half the dough mixture in pan.
- Spread cranberry mixture evenly on top.
- Drop remaining dough by small spoonfuls over entire surface (cranberry mixture will not be entirely covered by remaining dough).
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- Allow to cool slightly, and stir icing sugar, juice, and orange rind together in the meantime.
- Drizzle glaze over top while square is slightly warm.
- Cut into squares once it has cooled.
Absolutely! These bars are full of color, taste & sweetness! LOVED THEM, & especially liked the raisin & orange combined with the cranberry! This is definitely a keeper in my kitchen, & I'll be making these a lot! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed as a recipenapped tag in the Aus/NZ Special Recipe Swap #19]