Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
From Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet.
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin, see note
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 large egg white
- Note: Cranberries can be frozen. The 1 tsp gelatin should be a scant tbsp or one envelope.
- In med size saucepan bring cranberries and 1 1/4 cups water to boil then cover pan and cook for 6 minutes or until cranberries burst.
- Place remaining water in bowl and sprinkle gelatin in to soften.
- Press cranberries and cooking water through a sieve. Add the sugar to this puree. Dissolve sugar by stirring. Add the gelatin and dissolve the gelatin. Add the rind, juice and salt [if using].
- Pour into 9 inch square baking pan and place in freezer until it gets slushy. IF it is too hard let stand at room temp or until it gets slushy.
- Pour mix into bowl. Add whites. Beat until it is light and fluffy. Return to pan and freeze until firm.