These cookes are another delicious way to use cranberries during their too short season and are great to add to holiday cookie trays. Recipe source: Gardner (Winter 2003/04)
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray (Pam) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Stir in flours, orange zest, cranberries, salt and vanilla beating well on medium-low speed until combined.
- Spoon dough onto prepared baking sheet, spreading well with fingers and your palm to pat dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until slightly firm and edges are golden brown.
- Transfer baking sheet to a work surface and let cool 5 minutes.
- Using large cookie cutters, press a cookie cutter into dough, using various cookie cutters until all shortbread has been cut into shapes (instead of cookie cutters your can use a sharp knife to cut shortbread into 2-inch squares).
- Let cool completely and then transfer the cookies to an airtight container.
- Will keep at room temperature for up to 10 days.
These are a very delicate cookie. Have a rich buttery flavor; however, I would highly recommend not using the cookie cutters to cut them out. They are so flakey that mine kept breaking. I had much better results using a sharp knife and cutting them at an angle.