Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
These cookes are another delicious way to use cranberries during their too short season and are great to add to holiday cookie trays. Recipe source: Gardner (Winter 2003/04)
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray (Pam) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Stir in flours, orange zest, cranberries, salt and vanilla beating well on medium-low speed until combined.
- Spoon dough onto prepared baking sheet, spreading well with fingers and your palm to pat dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until slightly firm and edges are golden brown.
- Transfer baking sheet to a work surface and let cool 5 minutes.
- Using large cookie cutters, press a cookie cutter into dough, using various cookie cutters until all shortbread has been cut into shapes (instead of cookie cutters your can use a sharp knife to cut shortbread into 2-inch squares).
- Let cool completely and then transfer the cookies to an airtight container.
- Will keep at room temperature for up to 10 days.
These are a very delicate cookie. Have a rich buttery flavor; however, I would highly recommend not using the cookie cutters to cut them out. They are so flakey that mine kept breaking. I had much better results using a sharp knife and cutting them at an angle.