Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This has been one of my favorite scone recipes for a long time, and I make these quite often. They are quite easy to mak, and taste so wonderful when eaten about 5 minutes out of the oven, slathered with butter. (note: any leftovers, But I doubt if you will have any, can be frozen, just split and toast!)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled,and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (35%)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- In food processor, put flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cold butter pieces; process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- Lightly beat the whole egg and the egg yolk together in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the cream until blended.
- Add to the flour mixture, and stir until the dough begins to hold together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth; roll out the dough to 1-inch thickness.
- Cut out with 1 3-inch round cookie/biscuit cutter; place 1-inch apart on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Beat egg white just until foamy, and brush over tops of each scone with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle tops of scones lightly with remaining sugar Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.