Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious and healthy scones bursting with cranberries and a hint of orange. Plus, a white chocolate glaze!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix half and half with the orange extract.
- Pour half and half mixture into the dry ingredients and combine with a fork. Do not over mix. Add in the cranberries. The mixture should be dry so add some flour if necessary.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and slice into wedges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 13-15 minutes. While baking, melt the white chocolate in the microwave and stir in the milk. When scones are done, drizzle glaze over the scones.
- Enjoy :).
You can't go wrong with the cranberry/orange/white chocolate combination! These were nice, tender scones. I altered the recipe slightly because I had fresh oranges on hand. I replaced the orange extract with fresh squeezed juice by reducing the half and half to 1-1/8 cups and then used 2 Tablespoons of juice. I zested the orange, putting half of the zest into the dough and reserved half for the glaze. I couldn't buy any fresh cranberries for the life of me, but I always have dried on hand, so I used those instead. For the glaze, I replaced the skim milk with fresh orange juice and added the reserved zest. I did have to add more flour, as suggested, but also because I played with the liquid/dry proportions a little. This is a delicious recipe and I liked the idea of using the white chocolate in the glaze instead of stirring the chips into the dough. We'll be making these again. Thanks for sharing, CollegeCulinista! Made & enjoyed for the Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.
Loved your scones, & look forward to making them again! I did change the recipe a little in that I added an additional 3/4 cup of cranberries to the scones, as well as about 2 teaspoons of orange zest to the glaze! Very, very nice! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]