Recipe by pea245
Delicious recipe I found in Food and Wine magazine. YUM!!! Turbinado sugar is sometimes labeled 'raw' sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in the cranberries and orange zest.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of buttermilk until a stiff dough forms; knead until it just comes together.
- On a floured surface, pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick round and cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush with buttermilk.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 17 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Transfer the scones to a rack and let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.